Homecoming

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Orphans

This little one has a family! You can tell by the collection of items under her crib which came in a care package. Josie received something similar from us.

When our group saw the number of babies in their cribs (and we just visited one floor), someone asked when their paperwork would be done (ie-why do we have to wait so long?) The interpreter told us they had to wait to see which ones could be adopted (ie. strong enough to survive; adoptable through the typical program; or with special needs, but of the variety Americans would still adopt). Lying in the corner of the room, closest to us was a baby with an eye infection. The cellulitis (red, inflammation of tissue) was extensive: at least an inch all the way around the eye socket. I wondered if she would loose her sight. I thought of my antibiotics back in my bag at the hotel room. I thought of the eye doctor from my church who'd have that baby healthy in no time. I wondered if she would be a survivor. I wanted to go in and pick her up and pray over her. I just took a picture and walked to the next room.


I belive this is the one, right in the corner. But I'm not positive-there were several rooms just like this.